Looking to get involved within the community? Here are a couple of volunteer opportunities you can check out:
Friends of Brennemann (FOB)
Friends of Brennemann seeks to bring together Joseph Brennemann Elementary School and the Buena Park community to improve the resources available for Brennemann students. Our goal is to step into the gap between the school’s budget and the actual need of the school and its students. Through fundraising and volunteering, we aim to provide additional support for educational and extracurricular activities at Brennemann School.
- Want to get involved? If you are interested in volunteering or being part of the FOB board, you can reach out via email to: email@example.com.
Nourishing Hope (Sheridan Market)
With multiple food distribution programs that deliver more than 2.8 million pounds of food to our neighbors each year and social services that help clients achieve independence, Nourishing Hope aims to end hunger for good. The Sheridan Market location is always in need of volunteers to help distribute food to those in need.
- Location: 3945 N. Sheridan Rd, Chicago, IL 60613
- Hours: Food distribution hours are Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday from 11am – 3pm, and Tuesday and Thursday from 4pm – 7pm.
- Want to get involved? You can learn more about volunteering at Nourishing Hope here.
Ginkgo Organic Gardens (Seasonal)
Ginkgo Organic Gardens is a community pantry garden located here in Buena Park. They employ sustainable agricultural practices to grow heirloom varieties of fruits and vegetables and donate their produce to organizations that serve people who struggle with poverty and illness. Through volunteer workdays, they provide opportunities for individuals and groups to contribute to their mission of being stewards of the land while serving others with high-quality food.
- Location: 4055 N Kenmore Avenue, Chicago, IL 60613
- Hours: Volunteer opportunities begin around Easter and end around Thanksgiving, depending on the weather and the availability of water. Their Saturday morning work sessions start at around 9:30 am and end around lunchtime, depending on the weather. At the peak of the season, they have another work session on Wednesday evenings from around 6:30 pm until either it gets too dark to see or they yield the garden to the mosquitoes.
- Want to get involved? You can learn more about volunteering at Ginkgo Organic Garden here.
Broadway Youth Center / Howard Brown Health
BYC works to improve the quality of life experienced by youth (12-24) who are LGBTQ+, underserved, and/or experiencing homelessness through the provision of youth-centered integrated healthcare and social services. You can lend your support at BYC Drop-In where they provide youth-centered support to LGBTQ youth, youth experiencing homelessness, and/or street-based youth by providing basic needs and linkage to resources and services.
- Location: 1023 W. Irving Park, Chicago, IL 60613
- Hours: Contact BYC for volunteer availability & needs
- Want to get involved? You can learn more about volunteering at BYC here.
Sarah’s Circle provides a full continuum of services for women, including housing, life necessities, and supportive services, to help them permanently end their homelessness. They envision a safe and secure home for every woman in Chicago.
Sarah’s Circle has volunteer opportunities for Individuals or Groups every day of the week. They depend on volunteers to keep their programs running smoothly.
- Location: 4838 N. Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60640
- Hours: Contact Sarah’s Circle for volunteer availability & needs
- Want to get involved? You can learn more about volunteering at Sarah’s Circle here.