The Holiday Season is a very special time of year. It’s a time for family, friends, and festivities! But it’s also a time when busy people forget to be careful about their personal safety and property. As a result, people can become victims of burglaries, thefts, frauds and con-games.
Everyone could use extra money around the Holidays. Criminals thrive on unsuspecting and innocent victims. If you were a criminal who wanted some quick cash, how would you get it? Steal a purse or wallet from a holiday shopper? Solicit donations for a fake charity? Use someone else’s credit card or charge account?
Don’t Make it Easy for The Thieves!
BY USING THESE CRIME PREVENTION TIPS, YOU CAN HELP PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR VALUABLES FROM HOLIDAY CRIME!
- Give your home that “occupied appearance” by leaving various lights on.
- Let a trusted neighbor know if you are going to be gone for longer periods of time. Return the favor and create a “neighborhood watch”!
- Don’t use short cuts through alleys or walkways. Always use well lit and traveled areas.
- Always keep a hand free for emergencies!
- Shop with friends or relatives. There is safety in numbers!
- If you must take a purse, carry it close to your body with the clasp nearest you.
- Cash should be carried in a front pants pocket. Do not display large sums of cash.
- Never leave your purse in a shopping cart or on a counter unattended while you shop.
- Transfer valuables to the trunk of your auto before you reach your destination.
- Never leave valuables in plain view in your auto.
- Keys should never be carried in your purse. Keep your keys in your pocket.
- Remain alert at all times!
- Stay off your cell phone- Don’t advertise your property!
- Don’t walk around with headphones.
- When returning to your auto or home, have your keys in your hand ready.
- Use the “panic or alarm button” on your key chain if you feel fearful or suspicious.
- Be alert for suspicious persons loitering in parking lots.
- Be careful about strangers “following” you into your building! Don’t let strangers in!
- Always lock your car even if you are only going to be gone for a few minutes.
- Lock your doors immediately upon entering your vehicle and always drive with your doors locked.
- Don’t have packages delivered to an empty house!
- If your residence is equipped with an alarm, ARM IT!
- During the winter months, make sure your sidewalk gets shoveled! Fresh snow absent of footprints screams, “No one is home!”
We wish you and your loved ones a safe and Happy Holiday Season!
19th District Community Policing Office CAPS019district@chicagopolice.org