AS RESIDENTS, you are the most important person in deterring crime. Burglars and thieves are lazy by nature and look for easy targets. They seek out homes and apartments that appear to offer the least resistance. Don’t let your home be one of them.
BASIC SECURITY precautions can significantly reduce these crimes. A dark house, an unlocked door, an open window or garage are all opportunities for burglars. With a few simple precautions you can make your home less attractive to a burglar or thief. You can also call the 19th District Community Policing Office for a security assessment of your home.
1. Lock all doors and windows.
2. Stop all deliveries when going out of town.
3. Play your radio or television when out of the home.
4. Maintain a liaison with your neighbors when away for an extended time.
5. Be aware of suspicious persons in your neighborhood and call the police.
6. Sliding doors should be secured with lengths of metal or wood inside the track.
7. Do not advertise your habits or impending events such as vacations on social media.
8. Make sure any safe in the residence is secured properly so the burglar doesn’t walk off with it.
9. Keep all shades and curtains closed at night.
10. Keep valuables such as bicycles and delivered packages off the porch and out of sight.
11. If your residence is equipped with an alarm, ARM IT!
For more information contact the 19th District Community Policing Office at 312-744-0064 or CAPS019district@chicagopolice.org.